Hobby Supplies
Metal Detecting Supplies
Hobby Supplies
Metal Detecting Supplies
Edmonton Radio Control Helicopter Association
April 18, 2024, 01:42:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ERCHA forums

Home   Help Arcade Search Calendar Media Login Register Chat  
Hobby Supplies
Metal Detecting Supplies
Hobby Supplies
Metal Detecting Supplies
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire extinguisher  (Read 4839 times)
Burtondude
ErchaMember

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2011, 05:10:02 AM »

Based on the recent videos of helis on fire for one reason or another I think it would be a good idea to have a large fire extinguisher in the club house. Does anyone have any connections to get one donated or acquired at a discounted/cost price? 

Mark D
Newbie4Ever
ErchaMember

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 06:30:18 PM »

A fire extinguisher is a good idea and the rest of my post aside I think we should have one at the clubhouse. The problem with a fire extinguisher is that they are not effective on a Li-Po fire unless you use a halon extinguisher, which are toxic and may extinguish the person using it if they do not have a proper respirator on. The best thing we could have at the pilot stations and in the pits is some buckets of sand - i know not really what you want to throw on your heli but you would probably have to d  a mojor teardown, clean and rebuild anyway and any parts that could be salvages wuld be money in the bank. Charles Tye may be able to provide the best advise on this as he is in the fire prevention profession.

Perry
rotorsport
ErchaMember

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 12:03:56 AM »

Lipo batteries are a class D fire  A good ABC dry chemical extinguisher would put out everything that is on fire and just leave the Lipo fire and a little sand would stop the chemical chain reaction and that should control the battery fire

Charles
Century REP
Leisure TECH Products
Burtondude
ErchaMember

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 12:40:02 AM »

I figured even an ABC extinguisher would not put put the lipo fire but at least the surrounding grass wouldn't burn. Buckeys of sand are agreat idea for the pits!
travco7373
ErchaExecutive

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 04:43:38 PM »

chemical fire extinguishers the powder is VERY corrosive. It will eat plastic carbon and metal. I like the bucket of sand it will have to be cleaned after but nothing will be eaten up. Bucket at each flight station!! Fire extinguisher will work good for the grass.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hobby Supplies
Metal Detecting Supplies
Hobby Supplies
Metal Detecting Supplies