Hobby Supplies
Metal Detecting Supplies
Hobby Supplies
Metal Detecting Supplies
Edmonton Radio Control Helicopter Association
March 29, 2024, 09:55:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you are a ERCHA member and do not have ERCHA member status in forums please post.

Home   Help Arcade Search Calendar Media Login Register Chat  
Hobby Supplies
Metal Detecting Supplies
Hobby Supplies
Metal Detecting Supplies
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to choppers and bought a used Gas X-cell Graphite. Looking for help.  (Read 8759 times)
SwampDonkey

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2011, 10:47:07 PM »

I bought a used X-cell graphite helicopter a year ago.  When I bought it, the person I bought if from just hovered it and that was all I saw of it before I took it home.   I did get it to run for half a tank of gas and then i have not had any luck getting it to run ever since.  Is there someone here that is good with Gas Helicopters and would be interested in giving me a hand or getting it running for me?  I am willing to pay for someone to get this bird running.  I put a new spark plug in it and I am still having issues starting it.  I checked with a local hobby shop in the city and they refuse to work on anything they do not sell.  I live in Killam which is about an hour and a half from the city.  I will bring it anywhere for someone to work on it for me.  Thanks Dennis.
The Radio is a Futaba FP-8UHP/8UHF
Gyro is a PET-S1 Solid state Gyro
Motor is Zenoah Quartz 23cc
rotorsport
ErchaMember

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 02:17:11 AM »

Gassers are great helicopters but a little harder to set up.

Can you check and see what the model number is on the Carb?

What filter do you have on it?

What spark plug did you put in and what colour was the old one?

I have a limited experience with gassers but I would love to see you in the Air!

Charles

charlestye@hhotmail.com

Charles
Century REP
Leisure TECH Products
SwampDonkey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:23:46 PM »

Good Morning Charles and thank you for messaging me. The original spark plug is an NGK BMR7A.  I replaced it with an E3 power plug that matched it. E3.12.  The air filter is foam.  It is in a plastic air breather box.  The fuel tank has one line to the inlet of the carb, one line to the other side of the carb and a vent line out the top.  The carb is the original that comes with the Zenoah quartz engine.  It is a walbro modle wa-125.  My fuel mix is about 35/40 to 1.  It is the same fuel I run in my Two gas planes.  That is the reason I went gas for the chopper.  My planes have never given me any trouble Yet.  One of  the other problem I have found is the tail rotor is connected directly to the gyro and I can't change the tail rotor pitch.  Is it supposed to move when the motor is not running?  Once I do get the motor running the main rotor starts spinning.  My background is RC planes and RC cars.   I have been flying planes for 25yrs so I thought that a chopper would be a great addition.  My two gas plane motors are a Hobby Master 25 that Ken Huff had built for him when he ran his own shop called Hobby Master.  This engine was bought in 1990 and I have never had to touch it.  The other engine is a G26-EI.  I am looking forward to getting this bird flying soon.  Thanks  Dennis
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 04:28:09 PM by SwampDonkey » Logged
rotorsport
ErchaMember

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 03:57:32 AM »

Well you know how to tune a gasser so maybe you need to check for air leaks around carb. If you spray a light spray of water when the motor is running it will suck it in and slow the motor, an air leak will cause it to lean and run hot and loss power! (I'm sure you now this and may have already checked.)

Next I would pull the carb apart and check the internal screen filter.

The tail, disconnect the gyro and connect the tail servo to the receiver and check operation if all is well then it’s likely the gyro. Some older gyros when they are in heading hold they have a tendency to go all the way in one direction until it has a direction to correct. But stick movement should move the tail.

Charles 

Charles
Century REP
Leisure TECH Products
SwampDonkey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 05:38:58 PM »

Thanks for all the help Charles.
 I checked out the fuel system and I am now replacing everything including the tank.  The Tank had a crack where the throtle fuel line connected.  I tested the rotor servo and it seems to work fine until I plug it into the gyro.  I just bought a 2000mha reciever pack for the chopper so we will see if that helps.  I am away this weekend for my Dad's 73rd birthday in Manitoba.  When do you guys fly?  I would like to bring this bird to the city for some expert help.  Thanks  Dennis
rotorsport
ErchaMember

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 03:09:27 PM »

how are you making out with the trouble shooting

Charles
Century REP
Leisure TECH Products
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hobby Supplies